Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Adventure Called Life Day 097...in but not of...

John 1:10-12 says, "He was in the world and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive Him. Yet to all who received him, he gave the right to become children of God."

I started re-reading the gospels, and my favorite is John. I love how it starts off with, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." I LOVE words. I find it fascinating how they can paint a picture, reveal emotion, explain a problem, cast away doubt, diminish fear, build someone up, and tear them down. Words are so powerful. I know that I have used words to hurt people, But I am also thankful that I have learned how to use words to build people up.

anyway, back to verse 10. I read this, and immediately thought of the coined phrase, "In the world, but not of it." Do we truly know what this means? Do we really follow this simple, but hard principle? In the world but not of it. Let me take a stab at it...We are in this world, living and breathing, loving those around us, but we are not comprised of it. We say the "world" as if its a bad thing, and Jesus CREATED the world. The "world" is full of people crying out with a glimmer of hope, and the Truth. How do we claim to be "in and not of" without making people feel like because they are "of" that they're dirt? LOVE. HUMBLENESS. HUMILITY. recognizing that we were once "of" the world, and that in certain areas of our lives, WE STILL ARE. that's hard to admit, especially if we quote and desire to live by this principle.

I'm not saying to scrap this saying and start over. I think the phrase and principle has true merit. I guess I'm just unsure of how to go about this. How to be "in the world and not of it." sounds so easy, yet it feels so impossible.

Lord,
you have revealed this scripture to me. show me what you mean. reveal to me what this means for my life, and for those around me. Help me to apply this to my everyday walk with you. Lord, I am so thankful for friendships and relationships I have. You have blessed me immensely. Help me to continue to give, and be content in that alone. I love you.
In Jesus' name
Amen

well that's all I have for today. I'm going to continue to mull this one over. enjoy your day.
"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you," 1 Thessalonians 5:28

cm

No comments:

Post a Comment