Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Adventure Called Life Day 242...breaking the silence...

have you ever just sat, let your mind go blank, and let God speak? I confess I don't do this very often. I know I should definitely do it more. I seem to get so much out of it, why would I not take the time to do it? That's just it, it takes time, and A LOT of it...

The passage of Samuel 3:8-10 says, "God called again, "Samuel!" -the third time! Yet again Samuel got up and went to Eli, "Yes? I heard you call me. Here I am." That's when it dawned on Eli that God was calling the boy. So Eli directed Samuel, "Go back and lie down. If the voice calls again, say, 'Speak God, I'm your servant, ready to listen.'" Samuel returned to bed. Then God came and stood before him exactly as before, calling out, "Samuel, Samuel!" Samuel answered, "Speak, I'm your servant, ready to listen.'"

I love this example of seeking counsel to discern God's voice. I've never heard an audible voice I've defined as God, as young Samuel did. I have just had impressions that have run straight through my heart. I think its imperative that every Christ follower have a spiritual confidant and mentor. My mother and now my University Chaplain are big spiritual mentors in my life.

I challenge you, as I do myself, to find a quiet place today, sit and listen. Let your mind go blank, allow God to speak to you.

cm

No comments:

Post a Comment