Tuesday, October 27, 2009

answering the call...

I can't necessarily put my finger on the moment it happened, but it did. I answered the call. The call that Jesus makes to his disciples, and not just the "believers" that came to hear him speak. He charged his most cherished friends to, "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." He didn't tell them to make believers or converts. He told them to go and make DISCIPLES. 


disciple - one who embraces and assists in spreading the teachings of another


okay, so now that we've established what a disciple is, what does that look like? What does that mean for the average joe? 


In my very limited and young opinion, I would venture that this is not what the American Christian looks like. They are merely a believer, a person who admits that Jesus is Lord.  Matthew 28:19 is known in the Christian community as The Great Commission. 


The Great Commandment, Mark 12:30-31 says, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this, 'Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no greater commandment than these."


Now I am not saying that America does not have churches that are making disciples and that are not full of followers of Jesus Christ, I am merely suggesting that we step it up a notch. Instead of being satisfied to fight about theology and doctrine, what about banding together and caring about people. The very thing that Jesus did, ministering to the outcasts and befriending them. For goodness sake Jesus' disciples were outcasts, fishermen and tax collectors. Now those are people that the SON OF GOD associated with, how can we go and condemn those who do not "fit" into our "worlds". 


So this is my bulwark, my flag of declaration. I will answer the call, I will go and make disciples, and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ worshipping every moment of my life. My aim has been to authentic, even with my flaws, I aim to serve Almighty God, unselfish in desire, wanting nothing more than to please the creator and love of the universe. 


thank you Lord, for such as place as SAU. help me to see beyond the facade of "christianity" that some may wear. help me to see this campus how you see it. I love you.
 In Jesus' name, 
Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment